Son with Alcohol and Anger Problems

My son will be 21 in November. I have had behavior problems with him since primary school he has a problem with authority and will simply just ignore when you try and warn him off any danger.

When he was about sixteen, he started drinking coming home drunk from parties. He always redirected his behaviour and made like we were the bad parents.

We have warned him about drinking and driving and he still doesn't listen. He has a very bad temper (kickboxer) and is always try to fix every problem with his fists. This morning, he came home at 5:30 drunk, telling us that he got robbed and his cellphone was taken but there is no physical damage on him.

Parent Teen TroubledParenting ExpertParenting ToddlersParenting CounselorParenting Help

He shouted and wanted to hit my husband, so my husband hit him. He tells us that he hates us and he has also tried to slit his wrists, but was too drunk.

We have taken him to psychiatrists, but they can't find anything wrong. He has no remorse the morning after one of his incidents and sees himself as invincible. I have already taken his car keys.

Publisher's Note: Read my review of a program that can help you turn around your adult son's behavior as long he is still living in your home.

Comments for Son with Alcohol and Anger Problems

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 20, 2009
Son with Anger & Alcohol Problems
by: Laura Ramirez

If your son is still living in your home (and it sounds like he is), you need to get him help immediately because he is on the way to getting seriously hurt or into trouble with the law. If he will not see a therapist (and it sounds like he's in denial that he has a problem), I suggest you get this behavioral program that you can use at home.

Do this immediately: your son needs help now. If you have the authority to take away his car keys, you can use that same authority and the techniques in the program to help him turn his life around before it is too late.

It is hard for me to believe that psychiatrists found nothing wrong with him because it sounds like he may have something called Oppositional Defiant Disorder which if unattended, can lead to criminal behavior in adults.

If this doesn't work, you may have to do some sort of intervention with a drug and alcohol facility, but know that they are very expensive and have a high rate of recidivism.

Hope this helps.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Parenting Advice.